The city of Shirvan is found south of the Caucasus mountains. The weaving tradition of this area often used a limited palette of color in a sophisticated and fine knotted rug. These rugs ceased production at the turn of the 20th century. After the Trans-Caucasus railway was completed in the 1870s, Europeans began buying at a fast rate. By 1890, commercial dyes were used and designs became more simple and symmetrical. The smaller motifs, originally prized on these rugs were excluded after this time.